Wednesday, October 31, 2007

I like the idea I am continually changing because...

There is nothing physical or material that endures time without change. Though consistency is often times more comfortable in its predictability, there is something exciting about not knowing what the future holds. I think back to my freshman year and can see how I moved from being a person with zero on-campus involvement, zero-community involvement, zero leadership positions, and very little faith that I could achieve much of anything at a four year college. Now, I am a director for the Big Buddies program, I am the Community Service chair for Mortar Board, I am the Service VP for Alpha Phi Omega, I am involved in Maroon and Grey, I am a member of Fellowship of Christian Athletes, I have received a Town and Gown scholarship two years in a row, and have been asked to speak in front of hundreds of people to share part of my story and experiences.
What amazes me most about these accomplishments and honors is how so many of them have nothing to do with me. Almost all of them are a result of someone else’s faith in my capabilities that I could not see for myself. My being a director for Big Buddies is a precise example of this. After the abrupt departure of one of the directors of the program my junior year, I was called into the CSL office and was asked how I would like to be one of the directors. I could not believe that they were asking me to take on such an important and honorable job. Of course I said that I would love nothing more than to hold such a foundational role in the program; But, never would I have applied under the normal circumstances to become a director. I did not see the potential in myself to be a leader for such a large and influential program. Had the other directors and advisors not have pointed out how well I was performing in the program and if they had not addressed their vision of my potential, I would not be the leader I am today. I am so grateful for the opportunity they made available to me.
It is for this reason why I think it is extremely important to let people know when they are doing well at something. So many people are blind to their strengths, blessings, talents, and abilities. Addressing a person’s potential can change their lives by opening new doors of possibilities for them.
Simply over the past three years I have become an almost entirely different person. I cannot wait to see how I will change as I move into different relationships, start/ choose a career, start a family, etc. Though I have ideas of where I would like to end up and how I would like things to go, I cannot admit that I know where I will be or will go in the future, but it is this fact that intrigues me.

No comments: