Wednesday, October 31, 2007

There are a lot of different parts of who I am and this is how I see them...

There are so many parts to who I am. I know because when I am in certain situations I can be really shy and timid while in other situations I am outgoing. In some situations I have to be constantly telling jokes and clowning around, while other times I am fine being entertained by others. I can see the different parts of my self most clearly when I make transitions from school to home. In Redlands I am very dedicated to my work. I get up early and stay up late just to get my studies done. I do an immense amount of community service and I am constantly making plans for my future. When I go home, which I do at least once a month, I fall into a different kind of person. My future plans of changing the world move to plans to go to cosmetology school or work at a salon. These are not bad careers and I still think they would be entertaining, but with all of the hard work and money I’ve put into my education and the emotional dedication I’ve made to helping others, I can’t imagine not utilizing them. I also become lazy and find it difficult to complete even the smallest tasks while at home. I also become more interested in shopping and buying the latest fashions. I still don’t really understand why I change so dramatically when I move from school to home. I think that the way I get when I’m at home is a result of me moving back into the person I was in high school. I have learned and grown so much since I’ve come to college, but when at home, I fall into other people’s perceptions and expectations of me. They don’t know all the work I have done in college; they don’t know of my accomplishments, and so, they ultimately don’t know me, as these things have made me who I am right now.

But is this the real me? I know that the person I am when away at school is the person I would prefer to be, but what if the person I am while at home is the “real me?” In this case, would I be happier working at a salon? Maybe I need to just accept that both of these parts are truly me. Again, I go back to questioning myself when I feel that there is more than one true self. If I just accept that fact that there is a multiphrenic self, how then will it be possible to make the right decision for something like a career path? Our consistent denial of the multiphrenic self has to do with our need to organize and plan.

No comments: